Recently, the developer Niantic Labs announced that an upcoming update for Pokémon GO will end support for Apple devices not capable of upgrading to iOS 11, such as iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c models. This change is a result of improvements to Pokémon GO that push the application beyond the capabilities of the operating systems on such devices. This change will take effect on 02/28/2018. After that date, Trainers using affected devices may no longer be able to access their Pokémon GO accounts from that device, or use their PokéCoins or other items in their Bags. They will need to switch to a supported device to continue playing Pokémon GO.
The full list of devices as confirmed by Niantic Labs is as follows:
- iPhone 5c: Models A1456, A1507, A1516, A1529 and A1532
- iPhone 5: Models A1428, A1429 and A1442
- iPad (4th Gen): Models A1458, A1459 and A1460
- iPad (3rd Gen): Models A1416, A1430 and A1403
- iPad mini (1st Gen): Models A1432, A1454, A1455
- iPad 2: Models: A1395, A1396 and A1397
If you have any of these devices and it is your principle way of playing the title you will need to upgrade to an iOS 11 device (if you wish to continue using Apple) else lose out.