After the debut of the first major Cyberpunk 2077 trailer during E3 2018, CD Projekt Red devs provided various press outlets with access to nearly an hour of gameplay action. Savvy Redditors have collated all of the available information from a variety of articles.
- CD Projekt describes the game as a "first-person RPG."
- Gameplay is in first a first-person perspective, but switched to third-person during a cutscene.
- You play a character named V (as in the letter).V can be a man or a woman.
- The game features first-person driving.While driving, the U.I. appears diegetically on the windshield.
- Damage numbers pop up during combat.
- CD Projekt also described Cyberpunk as a "mature experience intended for mature audiences."
- Like Witcher, you take missions from NPCs and have dialogue options in conversations.
- It's an open world that you open up more with "street cred." For example, a specific jacket might raise it by 5%, allowing you access to new places.
- Game is FPS perspective
- FPS perspective made to feel more personal
- RPG with Shooter Elements not a Shooter with RPG elements
- Multiple different progression systems (Skills, Perks, etc.)
- V, protagonist - urban merc/hired gun.
- Full character creation system (Gender, Looks, Lifepath/Backstory)
- You DO NOT pick classes in the beginning, class system is fluid based on choices
- Dystopian Cyberpunk future shown in sunlight on purpose. Full Day/Night Cycle. Noir themes bleed through environment and aesthetic
- Characters from Cyberpunk 2020 lore will appear
- Netrunner Techie and Solo are main focused classes
- You can combine classes
- Optional classes exist (like Rockerboy and Corporate) and you can pull perks from them to add into your own custom class
- Story and quest system from Witcher 3 is implemented into Cyberpunk similarly.
- Choice and consequence is HUGE. Emphasized that the game is an RPG first and foremost
- Story is personalized by player choice.
- Combat - Ranged combat and Melee combat. Learned lessons from Witcher 3. FPS Melee combat.
- Weapons - 3 branches - Power Weapons (heavy hitting/stagger), Tech Weapons (penetrating through cover), Smart Weapons (tracking/following)
- Vehicles - Motorcycles, Cars, hinted at flying cars.
- V is a fully voiced character. Both Male and Female completely voiced.
- V's personality is shaped by player. Backstory and interactions shape V's personality.
- Cyberpunk is a dark dystopia in the same vein as Witcher 3 being Dark Fantasy
- Details of the world - everything has a purpose. World design was a huge focus in setting the tone.
- Night City - in between SF and LA (fictional city). Inspired by both cities.
- 6 unique districts in the city. Each area has its own feel on top of the base Noir feel
- Exploration is encouraged.
- Witcher was horizontally huge, Cyberpunk is vertically huge.
- You can enter buildings, Mega Buildings exist as well with multiple floors and multiple areas to explore within a single building.
- No level scaling. 2 forms of XP - Core XP - Main Missions and Street Cred - Side missions
- Higher Street Cred opens new exclusive vendors and fixers (new jobs)
Just saw a extended demo of Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay and loving what I saw. First person open world RPG. Very few cutscenes, most everything is experienced from the character's PoV. The world is completely seamless.
The protagonist, V, has customizable gender, skills, equipment, cosmetics. The choices made during creation are reflected in the world, and affect how characters perceive the player. Lots of cool customizable builds based on skill, equipment, play style.
For instance, a eye augment paired with a wall run implant and arm equipment to anchor to high walls. In the demo shown, the player had previously hacked into the enemy Network and can now latch onto discrete areas to hack and disable weapons remotely.
Another: combining the eye augment with a unique weapon that can shoot through cover along with a bullet-time esqe ability and a skill to ricochet bullets off of walls. The ricochet ability looks like deliberately being able to target enemies around corners, not a passive thing
Kotaku reminds people that "Ciri has probably been to Cyberpunk 2077". Here's the scene from The Witcher 3 and an interesting fan video overlaying Ciri's words on the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer.