Kenshi has officially launched after 12 years in development by lone game designer Chris Hunt. Kenshi is described as a "huge sword-punk sandbox RPG" that mixes in a healthy dose of squad-based control and city building features. In four years of early access testing on Steam, Kenshi has earned itself nearly 6,000 Mostly Positive reviews, with the most recent 800 coming in at "Overwhelmingly Positive".
“I hope that Kenshi meets a need in players that wasn’t being met by bigger games in the industry - a need for freedom and depth. Kenshi’s great for making your own stories and we think it also offers a really unique experience, different for each individual player where free roaming AIs can collide outside of a linear script - see our top favourite stories here: lofigames.com/player-stories.”
What is Kenshi?
- Open-ended sandbox RPG - Totally freeform gameplay with no linear story and no level requirements to unlock new items and features. Be good, be evil, be a businessman, be a thief, live in a town, live in the desert, travel alone, travel in hordes, build a fortress, raze a city - Kenshi will never seek to limit you or restrict your personal play style.
- The largest RPG world since Daggerfall - With no gated zones and a seamless map stretching over 870 square kilometres.
- Mods to customise your characters and surroundings - A highly active player community already with over 1,500 fan-made mods to personalise your playthrough.
- Detailed squad-based gameplay - Create, recruit and develop multi-character squads and factions from scratch.
- Build a base to house your squad - Research new technologies, upgrade your defences and craft new gear.
- Unashamedly hardcore - Harsh and unforgiving game world of constant challenge and reward. There are no ‘hero’ characters with artificially stronger stats.
- Absolutely no level-scaling - The world does not level up with you and shops don’t change their items depending on your level.
- Realistic medical system brings surprising survival gameplay - Damage location matters (leg injuries slow you down, arm injuries limit ability to fight), injuries take time to heal, no magical health potions exist and severed limbs need prosthetic replacements.
- Aid or oppose the various factions in the world - Form alliances or start wars. Strive for the strength and wealth necessary to survive in the harsh desert.
Kenshi is available on Steam for $19.99 in multiple languages.
Check out the trailer below and then head to the Kenshi Steam page to learn more.